Monday, July 7, 2008

Discussion on Specialty Certifications

RESNA Specialty Certification Feedback

In preparation for creating specialty certification programs the PSB is interested in your assistance in identifying areas of specialty practice within AT and the distinct knowledge that defines that area of practice.

If you would like to provide us your feedback regarding specialty certification, you may fill out this form online, save it, and submit it to Anjali Weber, Director of Certification at aweber@resna.org.

1. What specialty certification would you most like to see implemented?

2. What are the pros of instituting this particular specialty certification?

3. What are the cons of instituting this particular specialty certification?

4. How will a specialty certification positively or negatively affect your job function?

5. Describe how expertise should be demonstrated in this specialty area?

If you are willing to assist the PSB in the development of a specialty certification email aweber@resna.org include your name, phone, email and specialty area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to encourage the PSB to review the certification info for "ergonomists" if they haven't done so already. Here's a link to the Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics website: http://bcpe.org/certinfo/default.asp

The field of ergonomics is very similar to the field of Assistive Technology in that you have a wide variety of professions with varied eduacational levels. RESNA may be able to use a similar model for this revamp of the ATP/ATS.

One way to go would be to rename the entry-level exam as an Assistive Technology Associate (ATA or AAT). The BCPE uses Certified Ergonomics Associate (CEA) for those with less education and less professional experience. The CEA is more of an entry-level certification. I'm not sure this is the best course, as I can see that many ATPs would feel that this dillutes their current certification. I do however have a lot of difficulty personally supporting a certification that uses "Professional" in the title for someone with only a GED.

A less objectionable way to go may be the other feature that the BCPE offers. Currently they allow the certificant to choose between 2 designations CPE or CHFP (certified professional ergonomist and certified human factors professional respectively). The test for these two designations is exactly the same, but the certificant is allowed to determine the designation that best meets the needs for their current situation. I would imagine that the BCPE wouldn't have an issue switching a person from CPE to CHFP (or vice versa), if the job situation needs arose, or the person moved to Europe. Perhaps this would be a less drastic approach for RESNA. The ATP & ATS designations could be retained but the test would be exactly the same (as it mostly is now and is being proposed). Certificants could switch between designations if their situation changed. And we avoid the use of the word "Professional" or "Provider" since those seem to be sticky issues.

Anonymous said...

I have wondered about these issues for some time now so I commend you for tackling the difficult issues. Have you considered reframeing ATP to stand for "Assistive Technology Professional" which would appropriately distingish them from the ATS- a supplier with advanced knowledge on the subject but not a professional degree. ATP could be reserved for PT, OT, SLP, Rehab Engineer and Sp. Ed. Teacher.
I would also like to suggest an Early Intervention/Early Childhood Specialization. I did not work towards my ATP because so much of the study material is not very relevant to my population. At this point, a very young child, (under 3 yrs or under 5 yrs) needing AT intervention, is very likely to see an AT professional that spends most of their time with adolescents or adults that have much different needs and learning styles.
I like the idea of a general knowledge base exam (shorter perhaps) with additional specialty areas; Aug. Comm, Seating and Mobility, Educational Technology and Computer Access, and hopefully
Early Intervention/Early Childhood.
I would also like an easier way to prepare for the exam. Taking a continuing education prep class over a few days could give the average busy professional (who already has an educational knowledge base and some years of AT experience) the opportunity to fill out areas where they have had less experience. For example, as a PT I'm sure there is much more I could learn about doing Aug. Comm well, though I am frequently involved with Aug. Comm. with our little ones (Birth-3). Perhaps the specialty certification could be earned by a combination of relevant continuing education classes and write ups of some related experiences where the principals learned from the classes are applied.
I'm sure it is difficult to make everyone happy but I do think we need to focus on helping consumers locate someone with the education and experience to truely help them with their area of need (which is often specialized).